How cool that my Ragnar team-mate Nancy of See Nancy Run nominated our blog for a Leibster Award. My other blog, Bacon is NOT an Herb, has had similar nominations but, as Nancy likened it, they are kind of like chain letters and I never saw any of them through.
We have been needing a little extra love and am glad to point out some other blogs we have been enjoying in the process of accepting the Leibster Award. It’s a great way to check out some great writing and other thoughts about running, fitness or life in general. If we have nominated your blog, the rules and your questions are at the end.
Nancy’s questions for us and our (Jim’s and Terri’s) answers…
1. What is a fitness item you’ve splurged on, and was it worth it?
Shoes. Yes, it is worth spending the money on good shoes, rather than dealing with shin splints.
My Bia-Sport multi sport watch. It was a Kick Starter campaign that I back. Because it is so new, I have to be a little forgiving so time will tell if it was worth it. I have enjoyed it so far but am not so comfortable with it that I can yet run without another watch.
2. What do you think about when you run/workout?
Music that happens to be an ear-worm, planning for items at work, and personal issues, but mostly I try to think about nothing and let the stress roll away with the miles.
I like that it is hard to think about much else BUT running for me. I am always watching for potholes taking in the scenery and working hard to keep on keeping on. It’s a real break from all of the worrying I do normally.
3. What is your cool-down routine?
Stretching out curbside, then rolling out with a foam roller.
I want to log my runs ASAP but am trying to be better about immediately stretching out my psoas, calves and IT band. If it was a long run, I love love love drinking a bottle of Sambazon protein – Chocolate, Almond, Coconut Milk. Vegans like recovery drinks too and I really miss chocolate milk at races!
4. What has been your favorite race to date?
Juniata Valley BPW 5k
I love streaking races so that I can compare them year to year. I think I have to say the Capital 10-miler in Harrisburg is a pretty sweet race. For the sheer woman power, I love the annual NYRR Women’s Mini.
5. What are you looking forward to, fitness-wise, in 2014?
Moving past the 10 mile mark without any issues like shin splints, especially in my left leg.
That big ol’ fall marathon I will be training for until November 3. TCS NYC Marathon is my focus.
6. What is your favorite sports bra?
Danskin, cheap-ass uni-boob tube. I can’t wait to read Jim’s reply to this one!
7. How do you fuel before a race?
1/2 banana with Nuttzo, 1/2 Hammer bar, 1 Hammer gel
Something like a banana and PB about 1/2 hour before and a Hammer Gel a few minutes before the gun.
8. What is your biggest fitness worry?
That I am doing damage to myself.
9. Top 3 workout songs?
I do not listen to music to workout
Sooo eclectic, I do all my core work to dubstep and electronic music but for running…
1 – My “power song” is the 9th movement, Dance #9, to Philip Glass’ In the Upper Room because in my mind’s eye I can see my son performing Twyla Twarp’s kick-ass choreography. In the ballet, the dancers are so tired yet have to perform excerpts of all 8 of their prior dances at twice the speed in Dance #9. Hearing this song gets me digging deep and moving no matter how tired I am. This song is going to be my impetus to crack an 8MM someday. The video below is not the stellar American Ballet Theatre but you can get an idea.
2 – Hey Soul Sister by Train. It is peppy and close to 180 BPM which is my most comfortable pace.
3 – Closer to Fine by The Indigo Girls. Powerful and again close to 180 BPM.
10. What is your proudest fitness accomplishment?
Maintaining a general fitness and running level throughout the winter months
Completing a full marathon in 2012 and doing a real chin up the same year. I am working on repeating both this year.
The cool blogs we are nominating for The Liebster Awards are:
Wake. Run. Repeat.
Jill Runs New Mexico
Lisa Runs on Ramen
Snap. Eat. Run.
Still a Runner
Swim. Run. Eat.
Sweat Like a Girl
Our questions for the above bloggers are:
1. What’s your favorite workout and why?
2. What motivates you?
3. Looking back over your last year of training, what would you change and why?
4. What is your favorite thing to do as a training reward?
5. How do you get yourself going again after a training “funk”?
6. What hobbies do you have outside of the athletic?
7. What is your go-to fuel (pre/during/post workout)
8. What moment are you most proud of? (could be athletic or not).
9. What is your most embarrassing workout story?
10. What’s your most challenging goal? What’s keeping you from going after it?
The Liebster Award Rules
1. You must link back to the person who nominated you.
2. You must answer the 10 Liebster questions given to you by the nominee before you.
3. You must pick 10 bloggers to be nominated for the award (with a small following)
4. You must create 10 questions for your nominees.
5. You must go to their blogs and notify the nominees.